7/15/08

Who Are You Talking To?

In the most recent issue of the Publishing Answers Newsletter, I related another lesson learned with regard to the forum "hecklers" I talked about in my last post. The lesson involves the concept of target audiences.

For any of you who might be unfamiliar, target audience marketing involves figuring out and then marketing to the groups of people most interested in what you have to say. This is in contrast to those who believe "everyone" should buy their book and who market in a shotgun approach trying to make that happen.

In the heckler situation, I was reminded that even though there are definitely people in that forum who need my information, it's also important that they want it. That being the case, I can eliminate a group who's not truly interested, thus not my target audience and put my efforts elsewhere.

Who are you talking to?
My assignment/challenge for you today is to comment here with a brief statement as to the identity of your target audience. Why? It's good practice and who knows, one of my current or future readers might be a good match!


Good Writing & God Bless,

Cheryl Pickett
www.publishinganswers.com

P.S. If you aren't getting my bi-monthly newsletter, pop over to my site and sign up today. I'll be happy to send you this week's issue as well.

5 comments:

Edie Dykeman said...

Thank you for causing me to think more seriously about who is my target market. I just started blogging and writing articles after years of personal journaling and fiction writing.

Okay, who am I targeting? My areas of interest are elder care and caregiving, diabetes, and writing. Rather diverse, so I need to really think about where I'm going with all of this.

Thanks, again, for the reminder.

Cheryl Pickett said...

Edie, I'm happy my little challenge sparked some thought for you. Narrowing things down is really important if you want an audience to stick with you. Based on the topics you mentioned, you may have some overlap from one audience to another, but not a ton.

I've also been told by one of my mentors, Jeff Herring (the Internet Article Guy) to start with one interest, build it to what you want it, and then move to the next. He tried to juggle several things and found focusing made a huge difference in being able to reach his goals.

Not that you couldn't do a little of each for your own enjoyment, but if you want to write & publish, picking one to start will make life easier.

Edie Dykeman said...

Cheryl,

I agree with Jeff. Lately I feel like I'm going in circles when I try to decide what to blog or write about next. Very wise to start with one topic or niche.

I look forward to reading more of your articles.

Damaria Senne said...

Hi Cheryl. Came by your blog via Writersweekly.

I've been trying to work out who my blog audience is, and quite frankly, it's hard. My blog is effectively an online writer's journal, but the focus of my writing is broader. I make a living writing about technology, do some creative writing on the side and aspire to write books. And the question I still don't have an answer for is, does my blog talk to my readers across all pubs I write for, editors and business associates and potential clients or parents who I want to attract for my creative writing works? Should I even try to differentiate? It bugs me because sometimes I feel like my bllog content is too wide-ranging, and the reader would be engaged only if they are interested in me as a writer. And why would they be, when i'm not famous?

Cheryl Pickett said...

Hi Damaria,
A lot of people are in the situation that you and Edie share. Lots of interests, but where to go?

In response to your questions, I say you are correct in your belief about too wide a range only interesting some of the people some of the time.

If your goal is to reach a target audience to have them become clients, or purchase your books, it's best to separate. If you want to write for enjoyment, doesn't matter quite as much.

As far as not being "famous" that shouldn't concern you at all. I'm not by any means and you're reading my blog :-).

Yes, some people like following superstars and that's fine. I think far more people are just looking for good info or good reading, and you and I, and anyone who is serious about their passions can offer that.