8/21/08

Are You Deadline Driven?

I was speaking with a friend of mine yesterday and the topic of deadlines came up. We discovered they effect us in a very similar way.


I mentioned that I've come to realize that I work very well with external deadlines, like those imposed by an event date or an editor. I've never missed one when working for a magazine or newspaper. I've asked for an extension on rare occasion, but there's just a built in motivator that prevents me from blowing them off entirely.


However, on the flip side, I've tried to impose several self-created deadlines over the past couple of years. Finish something in a certain number of days because I have a lot of writing time, finish by my birthday etc. In complete contrast, this kind of due date apparently means nothing to whatever it is in my brain that makes me want to meet external demands. I'm disappointed when I don't meet the self-imposed ones, but it's not the same as the fear of not pleasing an editor.


For my friend, setting appointments with his graphic design clients works the same way. He will work like crazy to finish a task so he's ready for the meeting, but if he tries to set a personal timetable for something, the drive to finish just isn't the same.


Conclusion? That instead of using our efforts to figure out how to make the self-imposed ones more effective, we're better off working to find creative ways to set the kind that are effective.


How about you? Can you relate? Have any good tips to share?



Good Writing & God Bless,

Cheryl Pickett

No comments: