7/15/09

How Badly Can You Screw It Up?

Have you ever thought about trying something but didn't because you were afraid you'd mess something up? Maybe you want to try something completely different than what you normally write whether it was a divergence from genre, topic or voice. Maybe you've thought about moving from articles to a book. Maybe you want to try turning your writing into a business instead of a hobby.

Whatever is is, maybe you wanted to but you didn't because you're afraid of screwing up some or all of it. My question for you today is, how bad will it really be if you do?

As some of you know, I'm working on a new book project that's completely different from my first one. This means I need another website. I decided to try one that's Word Press based this time and found someone to help me get started with it. Well, long story short, while I'm waiting for her to have some time in her schedule, I decided to see what I could do on my own. And what you really need to understand here is that I know nothing about code, or programming. A few years ago, I was shown how to install WP on a site but that's about it, that site never went anywhere. I figured the worst that could happen was my web person would have to hit a few delete buttons and start from wherever she was going to start anyway. And that wouldn't be the end of the world.

On the other hand, if I did at least okay, there would at least be something at my site besides "this site is parked". Well, so far I did okay, what I did shows up at the domain. When my designer does finally get hold of it, we'll see if the tech side was done even close to correctly, but in a worst case scenario, if she can't meet my deadline, what I have will work temporarily.

So what have you been waiting to try because you might screw up? Make today the day you take a moment to think about how bad it could be if you did mess up and, as long as no one's in danger, weigh that against how good it could be if you at least did okay.

If you go for it, let us know! Hope you do.

Good Writing & God Bless,
Cheryl Pickett

No comments: