1/29/09

Author Puts Twist on Booksigning

You may have heard that book signings can be a really tough gig. Sometimes even big names don't get people to turn out in droves for a live appearance. Some do go well of course, but I suspect the ones that do have some creative effort behind them.

Here is one such example I found today: Author Randy Elrod called his event a "Book Tasting" vs. a plain-vanilla book signing. It makes perfect sense to me because though the goal is to get people to buy, such events normally include a "taste" of the book and getting to know the author. Read about it here. I touched base with Randy (via Twitter where I met him) and he said the turn-out was wonderful.

What kind of events do you have planned for the year? How can you put your unique twist on them?


Good Writing & God Bless,
Cheryl Pickett

2 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

I can't say that I've been to any really unique booksignings. I know that if the author reads or speaks, the turnout seems bigger. I did go to an author's debut and he rented a large facility and the turnout was huge (he has lots of friends).
Helen Ginger
http://twitter.com/MermaidHel

Cheryl Pickett said...

I think even using a word like "debut" would be more likely to catch the attention of readers or media compared to "so and so will be at such and such store signing books".

Thanks for stopping by Helen!

Note to my readers-find her/follow her and check out her blog, it's a good one.